Sarov, December 5, 2018
Recent excavations at Sarov Monastery, where the great St. Seraphim labored during his lifetime, unearthed a treasure related to both St. Seraphim and the Royal Martyrs.
Digging over the summer, staff from the Institute of Archaeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences unearthed a memorial plaque that commemorates the participation of Tsar Nicholas II and his family in the glorification of St. Seraphim of Sarov in 1903, reports the Institute’s press service.
The memorial plague is made of marble, with an inscription carved in gold letters, noting that the date of the great celebration, July 17-20, 1903, and the names of the Royal Martyrs who were present.
A church in honor of the Royal Martyrs was opened in Sarov in July as a sign of gratitude for their role in the canonization of St. Seraphim.
Also discovered were fragments of stone from a lithograph, made in 1874, depicting the famous scene of St. Seraphim praying on a rock. The Diveevo Convent, founded by St. Seraphim, had its own lithograph workshop, but the elaboration of the details indicate that it was made in either Moscow or St. Petersburg.
Read about the opening of St. Seraphim’s relics and his glorification in the article “Miraculous Occurrences at Sarov Monastery in 1903 at the Opening of the Holy Relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov,” and view a photo gallery from the celebration here.
Follow us on Facebook!