Source: Russia Beyond the Headlines
July 29, 2019
American historian and architecture expert William Brumfield discovers a remarkable wooden church connected to the Christianization of Russia.
The village of Bogoslov, on the western outskirts of Rostov-the-Great, is beautiful in itself, but it is renowned for the nearby wooden church of St. John the Divine. This remarkable monument was built in the late 17th century to commemorate a vision of St. John that appeared to St. Avraamy of Rostov centuries earlier. In 1911, the Russian chemist and photographer Sergei Prokudin-Gorsky came to photograph the monument using his special color photographic process.
... Read the rest at Russia Beyond the Headlines.