Known for his ascetic life, Met. Germanos, who reposed in the Phanar district of Constantinople, where the headquarters of the Ecumenical Patriarchate are located, was also the Exarch of the Rhodope Mountains and the confessor of the Archdiocese of Constantinople.
In the 1940s, the icon was to be found in the altar of the monastery’s St. Philaret Church. The nuns preserved the icon after the closure and destruction of the monastery. Then, in October 1941, the icon fell into the hands of a German officer who took it with him back to Germany.
Half an hour’s drive south of Nazareth, Megiddo is a popular destination for tourists and pilgrims visiting the Holy Land. The Book of Revelation prophesies that the Megiddo Valley will be the location of a gathering of armies for a battle in the end times.
An ancient, 13th century Russian monastery has seen its first signs of spiritual life in 100 years. The monastery had been closed in 1918 and its churches were transferred to a local parish community, though it too was soon abolished.
According to experts, the opening of the Islamic studies center would completely rule out the possibility of reopening the seminary, which the Ecumenical Patriarchate has been working for for years, thus far unsuccessfully.
Continuing the celebrations in honor of the 100th anniversary of the exceution of Tsar Nicholas II and his family and those martyred with them, a church has been consecrated in honor of the Royal Passion-Bearers in the Dnepropetrovsk Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.