Procession with miraculous icon for drought in Magnesia region of Greece

Almyros, Magnesia, Greece, April 17, 2024

Photo: Photo:     

Farmers in Almyros, Greece, are turning to the aid of their beloved Panagia to help them amidst the drought that is affecting the Magnesia and Thessaly regions.

On Monday morning, April 15, a procession was held with the miraculous Icon of Panagia Kato Xenia, reports Vima Orthodoxias.

The icon was festively greeted in front of the Church of St. Nicholas in Almyros, led by the abbot of the Holy Monastery of Panagia Kato Xenia, Archimandrite Nektarios, together with local priests, farmers, residents, and public figures.

A supplicatory prayer was offered to the Most Holy Theotokos, then the procession headed for the central Almyros square, and continued to the Metropolitan Church of St. Demetrios.

A motorcade then made its way to several more churches, with more prayers being offered at the Church of St. Athanasios. The monastery was then returned to its home at the monastery.


Photo: Photo: The Panagia Kato Xenia Icon is, according to tradition, one of those painted by the Apostle and Evangelist Luke. It was miraculously found in the coastal area of Laka Panagia in Magnesia around 850.

The clergy and faithful placed the icon in their church and called it “Panagia Xenia,” because it came from foreign lands.

A monastery was then built on the spot, taking the name Panagia Xenia Monastery. The icon remained there for about 250 years until 1210. Frequent pirate raids and the presence of fanatical Catholic monks forced the monastery to move more than once.

The icon was greatly venerated both because of its miraculous appearance and the many miracles attributed to it.

Around 1850, the icon was transferred to the monastery’s St. Nicholas metochion. After the devastating earthquakes of 1980 in the area of Almyros, the new monastery began to be built on a hill close to the monastery that was destroyed, which was also called the Monastery of Panagia Xenia, and the miraculous icon was moved there, where it remains until today.

Follow OrthoChristian on Twitter, Vkontakte, Telegram, WhatsApp, MeWe, and Gab!


to our mailing list

* indicates required