Sochi, October 25, 2013
Here it was determined that the discovered icon was the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God, whose first home was Georgia—ancient Iberia.
The icon with carved insertions of silver, gilding, and stones dates to 1896. The name of either its owner or its painter Archpriest Alexander Smirnov is indicated.
The icon is slightly tarnished from the sea water, but the image of the Theotokos is seen clearly, reports the Sochi administration's press service. The icon will be restored, and for a while it will remain in the chancel of the Church.
Special attention is devoted to the fact that the icon was discovered on the eve of the commemoration of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God which is celebrated on Saturday, October 26 (according to the new calendar).