The inhabitants of the newly-established city of Ustiug begged Saint Cyprian to build a monastery somewhere near the city. Saint Cyprian, went about the city and observed its layout, then chose a place near shallow lakes at the Ostrozh falls and he started to construct a cell.
By the year 1212, he began to build a monastery in honor of the Entrance into the Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos, and a church in the name of Saint Michael, the Chief Commander of the Heavenly Hosts. The inhabitants of Ustiug, seeing the godliness of the holy ascetic, brought him all the necessities for building the monastery, and many began to pursue asceticism together with Saint Cyprian, who received everyone with joy and with love.
The holy monastery grew, and according to the account in the Ustiug Chronicle, Saint Cyprian “was chosen head of the holy monastery and pastor of the flock of Christ,” but out of humility he did not accept the priestly office. By his bed, there was a stone, evidence of the monk’s ascetic deeds. During his night prayers, the ascetic held it in his hands so as to maintain vigilance and be constantly at prayer. Saint Cyprian died on September 29, 1276 and was buried in the monastery he founded. Afterwards, at his tomb, a church was built in honor of the Feast of Mid-Pentecost.