Source: Russian Faith
May 7, 2019
After Joseph Stalin shut the doors in 1929, this impressive stone cathedral stood silent for many decades. The midnight Pascha service, commemorating Christ's Resurrection from the dead, ceased to be celebrated here for 90 years.
In April 2019, two Russian priests and one American priest served the Pascha liturgy here, with about a hundred local Christians in attendance. The Gospel was read in both ancient Russian (Slavonic) and English.
In the heart of the Golden Ring of Russia, the magnificent city of Rostov the Great has been the crown jewel of the northern landscape for more than 1000 years.
According to the famous Primary Chronicle, it is one of the most ancient cities in all Russia, founded in the year 862. It is known for having the most beautiful Kremlin of all the cities in the Golden Ring.
The majestic Dormition Cathedral (a.k.a. Assumption Cathedral) is the tallest building in this historic Russian town. This architectural wonder was built in 1512, during the time when Martin Luther was still a Catholic monk in Germany. For more than four centuries, this cathedral was the center of Orthodox Christian worship in Rostov, until Joseph Stalin shut it down in 1929.
On April 28, 2019, three Orthodox priests celebrated the midnight Pascha liturgy at the cathedral for the first time in 90 years. Two of the priests are native Russians, one priest is from America, and approximately one hundred local Christian believers were in attendance, giving thanks for the Son of God's Resurrection from the dead.
...Read the rest at Russian Faith.