Redea , Romania, June 19, 2019
After 200 years, the monastic life has been revived in Redea, a village in the southcentral Romania commune of Buzoieşti, 70 miles west of Bucharest, where previously a monastery had functioned since the time of Prince Michael the Brave (1558-1601).
After many years of construction, the Church of the Holy Trinity was consecrated on Monday by His Eminence Archbishop Calinic of Argeș and Muscel, reports the Basilica News Agency with reference to the Diocese of Argeș.
Following the consecration, the Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Abp. Calinic with a host of priests and deacons at the summer altar arranged in the monastery courtyard.
In his homily, Abp. Calinic reminded all present that they are obliged to confess the Holy Trinity every day by making themselves with the Sign of the Cross and recognizing that every person bears the image of God. He also thanked the faithful for their love of the Church and for their efforts throughout the construction of the new church.
For his care and involvement in the realization of the project, the abbot Fr. Ioachim Zlotar was elevated to the rank of protosinghel. For his financial aid granted, local mayor Tanase Ion was awarded with the diocesan distinction of the Order of St. Neagoe Basarab.
Construction on the monastery began in 1999, though it was stalled due to a lack of funding from 2005 to 2011. Fr. Ioachim is the first abbot of the revived monastery, having come from the Negru Vodă Monastery in Câmpulung.
Financial aid was also provided throughout the ten years of construction by the State Secretariat for Religions, the Argeş County Council and the Buzoieşti Commune City Hall.
Follow us on Facebook!