Nizhny Novgorod, June 4, 2018
The first prayer service in the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin in nearly a century was celebrated on Saturday, reports the site of the Nizhny Novgorod Metropolitanate.
The service was set to coincide with the beginning of the restoration work on the church.
The moleben for the beginning of any good work was served by Fr. Alexander Gimoyan, the dean of the Nizhny Novgorod deanery of the Nizhny Novgorod Diocese. He was assisted by Archpriest Vasily Spirin and Fr. Dionisy Dukhovsky of the Archangel Michael Cathedral, also located within the kremlin walls.
Parishioners from churches around Nizhny Novgorod and volunteers who will help with the restoration of the Church of St. Nicholas participated in the moleben.
Following the moleben, the first work party was held, which will be held regularly in the future.
The Church of St. Nicholas in the military riding hall in the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin operated from 1885 until the 1920s when it was closed by soviet authorities, and the hall was converted into a tram depot. The church’s bell tower was disassembled, and a two-story building was attached to the altar-side of the church. The interior architectural decoration was completely lost.
The church has been returned to the Church and restoration work is underway.
Follow us on Facebook!