Tyumen, Russia, June 29, 2020
A new monument to the holy Royal Martyrs has been installed in the Siberian city of Tyumen, near the embankment on the territory of the Nativity of the Theotokos Convent.
The location is no accident, according to Russian Gazette, as there used to be a river pier and railroad station in the city, where the exiled family of Tsar Nicholas II was taken by train from the capital, to be further sent to Tobolsk on the steamer Rus’.
The monument depicts the Royal Family standing in the type of boat depicted on the Tyumen coat of arms, here named Rus’. The same sculptural composition can be seen in the monument to the Royal Martyrs installed at Diveyevo Monastery in the Nizhny Novgorod Province in July 2017.
The monument was sculpted by Irina Makarova, lecturer at the Academy of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture of Ilya Glazunov. Her Instagram page provides a video tracking the entire process of making the new monument, from its casting in a factory near Moscow to its installation in Tyumen.
The grand opening of the monument has been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Russian Gazette also notes that Tyumen is the only city in Russia to have a monument to Gregory Rasputin, in the garden near the hospital where he was operated on after being stabbed in the stomach in 1914 and then worked as an orderly.