New York, June 8, 2021
The new street sign identifying the stretch of State Street between Hoyt and Bond Streets in Brooklyn as “St. Raphael of Brooklyn Place” was festively unveiled on Sunday.
The stretch of street is home to St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Christian Cathedral, the first community founded by St. Raphael in 1895. Today it serves as the main cathedral for the entire Antiochian Archdiocese.
The day began with the Hierarchical DIvine Liturgy celebrated by His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph, who then led the clergy and laity in procession to the corner of State and Bond Streets to the singing of the troparion dedicated to St. Raphael, the Archdiocese reports.
At the corner, Met. Joseph removed the covering over the sign to reveal the new name: “St. Raphael of Brooklyn Place.”
Watch video of the unveiling on the Cathedral’s Facebook page.
“St. Raphael ministered to Orthodox Christians of all backgrounds and interacted with people of all creeds. He traveled the breadth and width of not only the United States, but Canada and Mexico, gathering his scattered flock. He planted the seeds of this ancient faith on these shores, a faith now embraced by peoples of all races and backgrounds,” Met. Joseph said.
“It is for this very reason St. Raphael belongs to this entire community. Both the faithful of this historic cathedral and those who live and work around it can embrace the life of St. Raphael of Brooklyn. We are honored to share this block, this borough and this city with all of you and this outward example shows that the city and its inhabitants also honor our presence here.”
Met. Joseph was joined by clergy from various jurisdictions and a representatives from the civil authorities.