Mănăstirea Humorului, Romania, June 30, 2021
A joyous celebration was held on the Sunday of All Saints, June 27, at the Romanian Orthodox Church’s Humor Monastery in Suceava, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the rebirth of the monastery.
It was also the patronal feast of the monastery’s Church of All Saints. The Divine Liturgy for the occasion was celebrated by His Grace Bishop Damaschin of Dorneni, reports the Archdiocese of Suceava.
The monastery was built in 1530 by Voivode Petru Rareş over the foundation of a previous monastery that dated to 1415. It was abolished along with more than 20 other monasteries after the Habsburg Monarchy occupied Bukovina in 1775. The monastery buildings were then used as a school and a warehouse.
The monastery was reestablished in July 1991, by decision of His Eminence Archbishop Pimen of Suceava, and Bp. Damaschin consecrated the holy habitation’s main church last June.
On the day of the anniversary, Bp. Damaschin was greeted in front of the monastery bell tower by a number of priests, abbesses of several Bukovina monasteries, and the faithful, dressed in folk costumes. After venerating icons in the Church of the Dormition and the Church of All Saints, he celebrated the Liturgy on a podium set up in the monastery courtyard.
During the Liturgy, a monk of Putna Monastery was ordained to the priesthood.
Bp. Damaschin dedicated his homily to the meaning of the Sunday of All Saints, and Abbess Parascheva spoke about the reestablishment of monastic life at Humor Monastery at the initiative of Abp. Pimen.
Following the Liturgy, a Trisagion was served for the departed founders of Humor Monastery.
In 1993, the monastery’s churches were included in UNESCO’s Cultural Heritage List with other famous painted churches of Bukovina, and in 2015, the monastery was included in the list of historical monuments of Suceava County.
Bp. Damaschin has been heavily involved in the rebirth of monasteries that were abolished by the Habsburg Monarchy. In March, the Solca Monastery was reestablished after 236 years, and in April, the reestablishment of Pătrăuti-Elevation of the Cross Monastery was celebrated.