Campina das Missões, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, October 11, 2021
A new Orthodox chapel opened in western Brazil over the weekend, in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Diocese of Argentina and South America of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Chapel of Sts. Cyril and Methodius was opened by Archpriest Anatoly Topala on St. Vladimir Square in the municipality of Campina das Missões in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The service was attended by other Orthodox clerics, Russian diplomats, representatives of civil authorities, and local civil activists, reports TASS, with reference to local media.
Regional authorities official declared Campina das Missões the cradle of Russian culture in Brazil in July. The first Russian settlers arrived there in 1909.
“More than 100 years have passed, and the descendants of the first Slavic settlers are trying to preserve their faith, culture, and history,” commented Fr. Anatoly.
The chapel was built with donations from local parishioners and the active help of clergy in Brazil. The foundation stone was laid and consecrated on April 21.
A reception was then held at city hall, ending with a performance by the ensemble from a Russian cultural association.
In March of this year, land was blessed for the construction of an Antiochian Orthodox monastery in the state of Rio de Janeiro.