On a small island in Lake Onega, surrounded by the waters and forests of Karelia, rises one of the most extraordinary monuments of Russian wooden architecture—the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord on Kizhi Island. With its twenty-two domes ascending one above another in a complex yet harmonious composition, the church has become an enduring symbol of the Russian North. Built in 1714, it forms the heart of the Kizhi Pogost, an architectural ensemble inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1990.1
From an Ancient Pogost to the Church of 1714
Kizhi had been an important religious center long before the present church was erected. Churches on the island are mentioned in written sources as early as the sixteenth century. The pogost was not merely a churchyard in the modern sense of the word, but the spiritual and administrative center of a large rural district whose scattered settlements lay among the islands and shores of Lake Onega.2
The history of the present ensemble was shaped by catastrophe. At the end of the seventeenth century, the earlier churches at Kizhi were destroyed by fire, traditionally associated with a lightning strike. Sources differ slightly in dating the fire to 1693 or 1694. A new Church of the Intercession was built first, while the parish waited some two decades before replacing its principal summer church, dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Lord.3
The new Church of the Transfiguration was completed and consecrated in 1714, during the reign of Peter the Great. An old inscription preserved in the church records the date June 6, 1714. Modern dendrochronological study of its timbers likewise places its construction around 1713–1714.4
Who designed and built the church remains unknown. No contracts or contemporary records naming its architects or carpenters have survived. This anonymity is characteristic of much traditional Russian wooden architecture, whose creators were craftsmen working within architectural traditions passed down through generations. Museum specialists have estimated that a project of such magnitude may have required a team of approximately seventy-five carpenters working over several years.5
The Legend of Master Nestor
Where history is silent, legend has supplied a name.
According to a famous local tradition, the church was built by a master carpenter named Nestor. Having completed his masterpiece with his axe, he supposedly threw the axe into Lake Onega and declared that there had never been another church like it and never would be again.
There is no documentary evidence that Nestor actually built the church, but the legend expresses something important about the way generations of local people regarded it: not simply as a large wooden building, but as a wonder. UNESCO itself notes the tradition of Master Nestor and describes the Transfiguration Church as having no true parallel in Russian or world wooden architecture.6
Twenty-Two Domes Rising toward Heaven
The extraordinary silhouette of the church is created by its twenty-two domes, arranged in tiers around a central structure that rises dramatically toward the largest cupola. The architectural core consists of three diminishing octagonal log structures placed one above another. Four extensions project toward the cardinal points, giving the church a cruciform plan. Curved bochka roofs—traditional barrel-shaped roofs terminating in pointed ridges—support the many onion-shaped cupolas.7
The effect is one of continuous upward movement. From almost every direction, the eye is drawn from the broad lower masses through successive groups of domes toward the central cupola.
The church was constructed principally of pine, with spruce and aspen also employed. The domes are covered with thousands of small aspen shingles. As the wood ages and responds to changing weather, the shingles acquire the distinctive silvery appearance that helps the church blend with the northern landscape.8
The building rises approximately 37 meters—about 120 feet—to its central dome according to its traditional dimensions. Its great height is particularly striking because it is a timber structure assembled according to the log-building traditions of northern Russia.9
It is often said that the Kizhi church was constructed "without a single nail." This is an appealing description, but it requires qualification. The main log structure was indeed created through sophisticated traditional joinery rather than being held together by ordinary nails. Metal fastenings, however, were used in some parts of the building, particularly in connection with the domes and their shingles. The real achievement of Kizhi lies not in the literal absence of every nail, but in the extraordinary mastery of timber construction displayed by its builders.
A Summer Church
The Church of the Transfiguration was unheated and therefore served as the summer church of the Kizhi parish. During the warmer months, Orthodox Christians came to it from settlements scattered throughout the extensive parish.10
A second church was needed for the long northern winter. The neighboring Church of the Protection of the Mother of God eventually assumed its present nine-domed form in 1764. Unlike the Transfiguration Church, it could be heated and used during the colder part of the year. The two churches thus served complementary liturgical purposes.11
The ensemble developed gradually rather than according to a single architectural plan. The magnificent Transfiguration Church changed the visual character of the entire pogost, and subsequent builders sought to bring the other structures into harmony with it. The old bell tower was finally replaced in 1862, and the new tower was substantially reconstructed in 1874. By then the celebrated composition familiar today—the soaring summer Church of the Transfiguration,the lower winter Church of the Intercession, and the bell tower—had taken shape.12
Inside the Church
For all the magnificence of its exterior, the Transfiguration Church was created first and foremost as a place of Orthodox worship.
Its historic interior was dominated by a great gilded wooden iconostasis containing more than one hundred icons dating principally from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. UNESCO records 102 icons in the iconostasis. Above the worshippers was the traditional northern painted ceiling known as the "heaven" (nebo), whose structure probably went back to the original construction of the church and was renewed at later periods.13
The contrast between exterior and interior is significant. Outside, the twenty-two domes create a vision of extraordinary complexity and movement; inside, icons, sacred images, and the ordered space of Orthodox worship directed the attention of the faithful toward the altar.
For generations, therefore, Kizhi was not a museum exhibit. It was the spiritual center of a living Orthodox community.
Changes in the Nineteenth Century
Like most ancient wooden churches, the Transfiguration Church did not remain physically unchanged. Its timbers required continual maintenance in the harsh northern climate.
During the nineteenth century, its exterior walls were covered with protective wooden siding and painted white, while the wooden domes were covered with metal sheets. Such alterations reflected contemporary ideas about protecting and maintaining old wooden churches, but they substantially changed the appearance of the building.14
The twentieth century brought even greater changes. Liturgical use of the churches ceased during the Soviet period in 1937. Yet at the same time, Kizhi increasingly came to be recognized as an architectural monument of exceptional importance.15
A major restoration undertaken from 1949 to 1959 under architect Alexander Opolovnikov removed many of the nineteenth-century alterations and sought to recover the earlier appearance of the ensemble.16
The Struggle to Save Kizhi
By the later twentieth century, however, the Transfiguration Church faced a serious problem. Three centuries of weather, structural movement, repairs, and deterioration had weakened the enormous timber building.
In 1980 the church was closed for restoration. Its iconostasis was dismantled, and other elements of the interior were removed. In the early 1980s, engineers introduced a substantial internal steel supporting structure to stabilize the building.17
What should happen next became the subject of an important international debate in architectural conservation. One proposal involved dismantling and rebuilding the log structure. Critics feared that taking the church apart would result in the loss of too much historic material and compromise the authenticity of the monument.
In 1988, an international ICOMOS symposium held in Petrozavodsk and on Kizhi Island brought together more than one hundred restoration specialists, including experts from abroad. The symposium recommended that the church should not simply be dismantled and reconstructed.18
Two years later, on December 12, 1990, the Kizhi Pogost was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. UNESCO recognized not only the extraordinary architectural quality of the ensemble but also its testimony to the highly developed carpentry traditions of the Russian North.19
The preservation effort eventually became an unusually ambitious restoration project involving Russian specialists, UNESCO, ICOMOS, and international experts. Rather than simply replacing the ancient building with a replica, restorers sought wherever possible to preserve historic timbers and retain the authenticity of the structure.20
More Than an Architectural Monument
The significance of the Church of the Transfiguration lies not only in its age or in the number of its domes. Kizhi represents the culmination of a centuries-old tradition of wooden church building in northern Russia.
Its builders did not invent an entirely new architectural vocabulary. Octagonal log structures, bochka roofs, onion domes, porches, and tiered churches all had precedents. Their achievement was to combine familiar forms with exceptional proportions and compositional skill, transforming traditional techniques into something monumental. The Kizhi Museum consequently describes the church as the architectural dominant and center of the entire ensemble.21The church also bears witness to the establishment and endurance of Orthodox Christianity in the Russian North. UNESCO specifically identifies the Kizhi Pogost as an important monument in the history of Orthodoxy in the region. The churches were places of worship from their construction until the interruption of church life in the Soviet period, and liturgical services resumed at Kizhi in the post-Soviet era.22
Standing above Lake Onega, the Church of the Transfiguration seems at once monumental and almost weightless. Its massive pine logs anchor it firmly to the earth, while the ascending tiers of silver-gray domes draw the eye upward. This union of craftsmanship, landscape, and faith perhaps explains why the church has inspired such admiration for three centuries.
The anonymous carpenters who raised it in 1714 left no account of themselves. Yet their work became their testimony. Out of logs cut in the forests of the Russian North, they created a church whose very architecture evokes the mystery of the feast to which it is dedicated: the Transfiguration—the earthly illuminated by the heavenly, and matter made radiant with light.












