Turin, May 1, 2015
Over half a million of Christians from different countries all over the world have seen the original Shroud of Turin which has been displayed for the first time since 2010 for public veneration inside San Giovanni (in honor of St. John the Baptist) Catholic Cathedral of Turin since April 19, reports RIA-Novosti.
The Turin Shroud is a length of a linen cloth 4.42 meters long and 1.13 meters wide (c. 14.3 x 3.7 feet) which bears an image of a human body in two projections – a front and a back view. The linen cloth in which the Body of Christ was wrapped after its deposition from the cross will be displayed till June 24. Those who desire can look at the relic for free, but registration is required: either on the Shroud’s official website sindone.org or right at the booking center Palazzo di Citta (Piazza Castello).
According to the Archdiocese of Turin, majority of the faithful are arriving from Poland, the USA, Southeast Asia, and the Latin America. Early in May a group of pilgrims is coming to Turin from Russia.
This Holy Shroud exposition is already the third one in the 21st century: earlier it could be venerated in 2000 and 2010. In the previous century the Shroud of Turin was publicly exhibited in 1900, 1933, 1978, and 1998.
Since 1984 the Holy See has been in possession of the Holy Shroud.