Kiev, February 26, 2021
Photo: church.necropol.org The Commission for the Canonization of Saints of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church met at the Kiev Caves Lavra on Wednesday under the chairmanship of His Eminence Metropolitan John of Kherson and Taurida.
The Commission reviewed materials concerning the lives and podvigs of ascetics of piety who lived and labored in the 19th and 20th centuries, including His Eminence Archbishop Eumenius (Khorolsky, +1967) and His Grace Bishop Hierotheos (Lobachevsky, +1871), reports the Kherson Diocese.
The members decided to send materials regarding the canonization of Abp. Eumenius to His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry of Kiev and All Ukraine and the Holy Synod for further consideration.
As a fully self-governed autonomous Church, the Ukrainian Church has the right to canonize its own saints at any time.
Most recently, the Ukrainian Church canonized 5 ascetics of piety from the Sumy and Alexandria Dioceses in December.
Abp. Eumenius was born on December 13, 1886, in the Kherson Governorate. He received his initial education in a parochial school, after which he graduated from a pedagogical school. He then entered Holy Trinity Monastery in Kiev as a novice.
After fulfilling his military service, he then became the personal secretary to Bishop Dionysiy of Saratov in 1912. Six years later, he entered St. Michael’s Monastery in Kiev, where he was tonsured and ordained to the diaconate in 1919. In 1923, he transferred to the Kiev Caves Lavra, and the next year he was sent to the Lavra’s dependency in Petrograd to serve as archdeacon.
He was arrested on the night of August 22-23, 1930. Later, in March 1950, he was ordained as a hieromonk and appointed as dean of the Kiev Caves Lavra. He was elevated to the rank of archimandrite in January 1954, and the next month he was consecrated as the bishop of Chernivtsi and Bukovina.
On December 9, 1958, he was elevated to the rank of archbishop and appointed Archbishop of Zhytomyr and Ovruch.
He reposed in the Lord on August 25, 1967, and was buried behind the alter of the church in the Zhytomyr cemetery.