Chicago, June 8, 2021
Next year marks the 130th anniversary of the parish community of Chicago's Holy Trinity Cathedral (Orthodox Church in America), the city's oldest Orthodox Christian community.
In honor of the occasion, the historic cathedral is undergoing large-scale restoration thanks to a sizable grant from the city of Chicago's Landmarks Department, reports the Diocese of the Midwest of the Orthodox Church in America.
Photo: domoca.org The Church of St. Vladimir, the predecessor of Holy Trinity Cathedral, was consecrated on June 7, 1892. Hieromartyr John Kochurov served first at St. Vladimir's then at Holy Trinity from 1895 to 1907. Before the establishment of St. Vladimir's there was a community named in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker that was served by St. Alexis Toth, who would occasionally come from Minneapolis.
The cathedral, built in 1903, was declared a Chicago landmark in 1979, reports Chicago Yimby.
In view of the upcoming anniversary, the parish community has recommenced the restoration of the historical exterior of the cathedral and rectory. Work began in the mid-2000s, with the dome and bell tower being completed in 2009.
To help with the project, the cathedral was awarded a generous $250,000 grant earlier this year as part of the city's “Adopt a Landmark” program. There have also been many donors, notes cathedral dean Fr. Alexander Koranda.
“Our temple is very important to the fabric of Orthodoxy in this country and it is important that we take care of our holy sites,” Fr. Alexander reflected.
Both buildings will undergo stucco repair, ornamental metal repair, exterior paint, and concrete stair replacement. Additional work on the rectory and hall building includes window replacement and balcony repair.
The current project costs roughly $600,000. Donations can be offered through the cathedral's website (choose “Building and Restoration Fund” under “Select a campaign”).