The Monastery of St. Savva of Storozhev
Founded in 1398 by St. Savva of Storozhev, this monastery located in the Moscow suburb of Zvenigorod, the history of which is inextricably linked with that of the Russian state, has remained for six centuries the main contribution by one of the disciples of St. Sergius of Radonezh to the spiritual treasury of Holy Rus’.
Today in the monastery, which was renewed in 1995, the churches, bell tower, fortress walls and palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich Romanov are all being restored. The monastery houses a children’s home, and hosts a two-year theological course for adults, with a reading library containing 6,500 volumes.
The beauty and life of the monastery are reflected in these photographs by Anatoly Goryanov.