Sergiev Posad, Russia, July 18, 2022
The world-famous Trinity Icon painted by St. Andrei Rublev some 600 years ago has returned to its rightful place in the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra, at least for a few days.
The icon was removed from the cathedral iconostasis by Soviet authorities in 1920. After 9 years in a museum in Zagorsk (Sergiev Posad), it was transferred to the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow, where it has remained ever since.
But in honor of the 600th anniversary of the uncovering of the relics of St. Sergius being celebrated today, the museum agreed to temporarily deliver the icon to the monastery, reports RIA-Novosti.
This is the first time the icon has returned to the monastery since its removal.
The icon was delivered on the night of July 16-17, and was placed in front of its original location on the iconostasis in Holy Trinity Cathedral, where lie the relics of St. Sergius. The icon is behind protective glass.
The services for the feast are being led by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill. About 20,000 pilgrims are expected at the Lavra.
A piece of the relics of St. Sergius are also being carried in procession to at least 50 dioceses of the Russian Church over the next several months.