Bucharest, January 31, 2023
Recent archaeological excavations in Bucharest uncovered the remains of a building connected to one of Romania’s great royal saints.
The find came as part of the project to consolidate and restore the Palace of the University of Bucharest, where fragments of walls from buildings that functioned as part of the St. Sava Royal Academy, the first higher education school in Wallachia, were found in the Palace courtyard.
The Academy was founded by St. Constantin Brâncoveanu in 1694, reports the Constructii Erbasu construction company.
St. Constantin was ruler of Wallachia from August 15, 1654 to August 15, 1714. He was then dethroned and he and his four sons Constantin, Stephan, Radu, and Matei, and his treasurer Ianache Vacaresu were sent to Istanbul where they were tortured and executed by decapitation. They were canonized in 1992.
The St. Sava Church and Academy, 1864. Photo: Once Upon a Time in Bucharest
For now, the old walls have been protected with geo-textile and re-covered with earth for preservation during the building’s consolidation and restoration works.
A monastery also named in honor of St. Sava used to be located across the street from the St. Sava Royal Academy.
Follow OrthoChristian on Twitter, Vkontakte, Telegram, WhatsApp, MeWe, and Gab!