Kadnitsy, Nizhny Novgorod Province, Russia, February 10, 2022
On January 29, Holy Transfiguration Church in the Russian village of Kadnitsy, Nizhny Novgorod Province, saw its first service in nearly nine decades.
The church, built in 1854, was the first stone church in the village. It stands on the steep bank of the Volga River, where the high bell tower served as a beacon for ships.
The church was closed and looted by the godless authorities, saved from complete destruction only by its use as a granary in the Soviet period. The revival of the church building itself began in 2012, and plans are underway to begin painting the iconography this year.
The Divine service held late last month was celebrated by the local dean, Fr. Viktor Eremeev, and parish rector Fr. Sergei Kuzenkov, joined by about 40 locals, reports the Nizhny Novgorod Metropolis.
Services will be held regularly in the church from now on. Less than a year ago, seven bells were blessed and hung in the bell tower.
The next day, the first Liturgy in 100 years was celebrated in the Church of St. Anthony the Great at Kharkov National University—the oldest church of a Ukrainian higher educational institution.